According to new Camapign Solutions research, legacy income for Irish charities increased by over 60% between 2015 and 2019. Legacy expert Niall O’Sullivan believes the trend can continue upward and – if charities are more ambitious and proactive – we can double legacy income in Ireland over the coming decade.
Is your charity making the most of its potential? Legacy Insights is for charities with ambitions to increase and diversify their fundraising income via legacies. Whether your organisation is nervous / new in this space or already doing well, Legacy Insights is for you.
Legacy Insights Clients Benefit:
This is a new fee based research service which seeks to help transform your organisation’s approach to legacies. Among the benefits are:
- Full sight of legacy tracker report which covers annual legacy income. Year 1 report covers 2015 – 2019. There is an additional individual insights section for each member incorporating your market share each year, performance within your sector, your ranking and more…
- Client event and shared learnings at the tracker report launch for clients (there will be a public event / forum also).
- A second deeper insights report will both benchmark your legacy fundraising activity and systems AND provide important new insights about legacies. This will be based on the review of client charities legacy activity and an analysis of legacy income information. Again, each client organisation will, as a key part of this report, receive their charity specific insights section. The shared insights will help highlight future opportunities for clients.
- Note: An annual shorter summary report will be prepared with wider availability to promote legacy giving generally. The fees will help enable this to continue year on year.
In more detail:
Clients Report Launch
- Annual launch of report with the latest legacy updates, insights, trends and commentary for Ireland. Includes a guest legacy fundraising expert or fundraiser to present and provide super tips and guidance – with a research focus.
Legacy Market Tracker: The annual report of legacy giving to charities. It will seek to answer the following:
- Market size
- Is the market growing, static or falling? Why?
- What is the income and share of the different charity sectors?
- Is your charity’s share rising or falling? Where are you in the ‘Top 100? Each charity client will get additional supplementary information, individual to that organisation.
- How many charities were identified as receiving bequests in a given year?
- What is the market share of the Top 10 / 20 / 50 charities?
- What other factors are affecting current and future legacy giving?
- The shorter snapshot report is available to all.
Year 1 report covers 2015 – 2019 inclusive and is annual thereafter, gradually building a remarkable data bank. Legacies are long term and we need longitudinal data on this important topic.
Legacy Activity Insights:
Are you doing the right things, even if legacy income is still low – or yet to happen? Each charity involved completes an annual assessment regarding their legacy activity and legacy administrative structures / procedures. This benchmarks your organisation score v charities generally; and (if there is scale) to your sector. Areas where improvements could be made will become very apparent. Quickly find out if you are ‘doing the right things’.
Legacies – Deep Insights: Client charities generating legacy income will complete a second survey and receive a further report based on the findings.
- Many questions have already been identified but will also be driven by you the clients.
- Key focus areas will include:
- the will / bequest itself – scale, number, type
- about the legators (male/female, location etc)
- advertising and marketing channels used
- and more…
- Client organisations will gain new insights like never before, not just about the market trends, but insights into where and how best to invest their legacy budget. Clients with legacy income will get full sight of the detailed report.
- As research is undertaken, over avenues for future research will become apparent.
How Does this Help YOU?
- Help you better plan to increase legacy income in the years and decades ahead.
- Information is power. Have data driven conversations re the allocation of resources, budgets and time for legacies – even if legacy income is non-existent or still occasional.
- Have better conversations with board and management.
- Better present your legacy offering to donors and supporters.
- Learn from the mistakes and successes of others.
- Develop a legacy friendly culture in your organisation.
- Be proud of your legacy work!
Please note: We will not be publishing (unless with express permission) individual organisation legacy income or activity scores in the reports.
Your client fee for 2021 is based on an average of your legacy income over 2017 / 2018 / 2019. Significant discounts apply for MyLegacy members, with discounts also for CII members. To become a 2021 research client, payment is required no later than May 28. Note: VAT is not applicable for 2021, but may be in 2022.
|€0 – €19k||€100||€125||€150|
|€20k – €99k||€150||€200||€225|
|€100k – €349k||€250||€330||€375|
|€350k – €749k||€400||€540||€600|
- None of this research currently exists for Ireland. Legacy Insights will help charities to better plan but also help organisations, such as MyLegacy and others to lobby more effectively for change at government level for better tax opportunities and more re legacies.
- Together we can all grow legacy income in Ireland!