According to new Campaign Solutions research, legacy income for Irish charities increased by c60% between 2015 and 2020. Legacy expert Niall O’Sullivan believes the trend can continue upward and – if charities are more ambitious and proactive – we can double legacy income in Ireland over the coming decade.
Is your charity making the most of its potential? Legacy Insights research service is for charities with ambitions to increase and diversify their fundraising income via legacies, and who already have income and data that they can share. Whether your organisation is still nervous / new in this space or already doing well, Legacy Insights could be for you.
Legacy Insights Clients Benefit:
Established since 2021 this is a fee based research service which seeks to help support charities to develop to legacy income and build a bank of information on legacies in Ireland. Among the client benefits are:
- Full sight of a public Legacy Insight report (also written by Campaign Solutions)which covers annual legacy income and is based on data secured from annual reports / accounts or data provided directly by charities on request. Year 1 report covered 2015 – 2019. Year two has additional data covering 2015 – 2020 and also has sector breakdowns. Legacy Insights clients get additional deeper insights with an individual review incorporating your market share for each year covered, performance within your sector, your ranking and more…
- There is a client event and shared learnings re public Legacy Insights report (there will be a spearate public event / forum also).
- A second report – based on more detailed legacy data supplied by clients – provides important new insights about legacies. This will allow you to benchmark against a range of other charities and can help highlight future opportunities.
- The bigger picture is that, together, we are building a new data bank for Ireland which is essential, as we – as a sector – seek to grow legacy income.
In more detail:
Clients Report Launch
- Annual launch of report with the latest legacy updates, insights, trends and commentary for Ireland. Includes a guest legacy fundraising expert or fundraiser to present and provide super tips and guidance – with a research focus.
Legacy Market Tracker: The annual public report of legacy giving to charities. It will seek to answer the following:
- Market size
- Is the market growing, static or falling?
- Income and share of the different charity sectors?
- How many charities were identified as receiving bequests in a given year?
- What is the market share of the Top 10 / 20 / 50 charities?
- What other factors are affecting current and future legacy giving?
- The shorter snapshot report is available to all.
- For Legacy Insights research clients – additional info: Is your charity’s share rising or falling? Where are you in the ‘Top 100? Each charity client will get additional supplementary information, individual to that organisation.
Year 1 report covered 2015 – 2019 inclusive and each subsequent report adds a new year thereafter. Longitudinal data is essential to build our understanding. Year 2 report includes more 2015 – 2019 and new 2020 data AND a sector breakdown for the first time.
Legacy Activity Insights:
Are you doing the right things, even if legacy income is still low? Each research client can complete an annual assessment regarding their legacy activity and legacy administrative structures / procedures. This is a benchmark for your organisation. Areas where improvements could be made will become very apparent. Quickly find out if you are ‘doing the right things’.
Legacy Insights: Client charities generating legacy income will provide data, which is combined with other clients datasets and will receive a detailed research further report based on the findings.
- Information provided by clients:
- Key focus areas will include:
- the bequest itself – € value, type
- about the legators (male/female, location – county – etc)
- and more…
- Data is provided in a standard Excel format. Client organisations will gain new insights like never before, not just about the market trends, but insights into where and how best to invest their legacy budget.
- As research is undertaken, over avenues for future research will become apparent.
How Does this Help YOU?
- Help you better plan to increase legacy income in the years and decades ahead.
- Information is power. Have data driven conversations re the allocation of resources, budgets and time for legacies – even if legacy income is new or still occasional.
- Have better conversations with board and management.
- Better present your legacy offering to donors and supporters.
- Learn from the mistakes and successes of others.
- Develop a legacy friendly culture in your organisation.
- Be proud of your legacy work!
Please note: We will not be publishing (unless with express permission) individual organisation legacy income or activity scores in the reports.
Your client fee for 2023 is based on an average of your legacy income over 2019 / 2020 / 2021. Significant discounts apply for MyLegacy members, with discounts also for CII members. To become a 2023 research client, payment is required no later than Q2 each year. Note: VAT is additional.
|Less than €19k||€100||€125||€150|
|€20k – €99k||€150||€200||€225|
|€100k – €349k||€250||€330||€375|
|€350k – €749k||€400||€540||€600|
- This is new research for Ireland. Legacy Insights research helps charities to better plan, to be more ambitious and helps fundraisers in their organisations to better articulate the need for more resources – based on the potential that exists. It also helps organisations, such as My Legacy and others to lobby more effectively for change at government level for better tax opportunities and more re legacies.
- Together we can all grow legacy income in Ireland!